Sunday, August 26, 2012

Gone Fishing Party

It seems like this weekend has flown by in a flash.  We packed up on Friday and headed up to the lake where we rented a house for the weekend.  My boys have fallen in love with fishing this summer so I thought it would be neat rather than paying some place an hourly rate and per person fee for hosting the party that I would just rent a lake house and have a little family party where the kids could fish until they dropped.  Mission success.  They are completely worn out now.  Haha.

Dad and the boys checked out the dock Friday night and tested out the fishing and on Saturday afternoon family came up for hot dogs and cake, and of course the fishing fun.  I didn't get nearly the most elegant photos I had envisioned, but it was a whirlwind of a weekend.  I did a cute little banner that went right along with our fishing theme and I strung it on fishing line with Christmas ornament hooks.  This was my favorite banner I have made to date!




I made these Pinterest inspired cupcakes only I substituted coffee stirrers and Swedish fish.  You will find my pinspiration here.



I also put blue food coloring in the Sprite and made what we call the Chocolate Pudding Field of Worms and labeled it as bait.  I unfortunately did not get a picture of them :(    Here is how you make the bait buckets, though.

Chocolate Pudding Field of Worms

Ingredients
  • Roughly 30 Oreos, crushed
  • gummy worms
  • 2 (5 oz) Cook-N-Serve Jell-O chocolate pudding
  • 3 cups of milk
Basically I used 3 small plastic sand pails that were on clearance from the summer.  Fill the bottom of each of your buckets with some of the Oreos.  Then prepare your pudding according to package directions.  When the pudding is done pour it on top of the Oreos.  Next, cover with aluminum foil and refrigerated for a couple of hours.  Remove from the refrigerator and put the rest of the Oreos on top.  Then you will take gummy worms and arrange them on the top to look like they are crawling around in the dirt.  Easy peasy.

The party was a hit and the boys both agreed it was one of the best birthdays ever!


24 comments:

  1. What a cute party! Those cupcakes look yummy! Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. New follower from the GFC Blog Hop! I love this post...I want to do a fishing theme for my son's 2nd birthday next year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to have you! I love this theme, because it is not overdone like so many others, and they will definitely remember it when they are grown!

      Delete
  3. oh my goodness I love this party theme. That banner is AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is one of the CUTEST themed parties I have ever seen! I am totally doing this for my little boy (when I have one that is....) unless my sweet daughter wants one...which is highly likely. ha! just found your blog from the Tea On Tuesday Social - newest follower :) glad I found ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to have you! I'll definitely have to check out your blog! The name sounds very promising! :)

      Delete
  5. i am following the "tea on tuesday" blog hop. i would love for you to visit my blog and follow if you like it.

    http:/www.blackinkpaperie.blogspot.com

    thanks
    new follower bev

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Bev. Great to have you! I'm already a follower of yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a cute idea. Looks like a great party! Thanks for sharing at the All Star Block Party!

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMGosh...adorable party!! Found you thru the I Love My Online Friends GFC Hop! New Follower! YAY!

    Tif
    Ramblings of a Southern Belle
    http://www.her-southern-ramblings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh holy mackerel that is CUTE!!!! Love the banner, Love the cupcakes. I'm double-pinning!!

    Thanks so much for linking up at I Gotta Create! <3 Christina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way, you're a STAR with your own feature today at I Gotta Create! <3 Christina

      Delete
  10. Love the party and the banner!

    I would love if you would post it and share it with my readers! Join the Community and share any of your creative project!

    Susan @ Oh My! Creative

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will definitely check it out when I get a free moment! :)

      Delete
  11. That banner is fantastic! Great party

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super cute! Love the banner! Thank you for sharing at our
    Pinteresting Party!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great ideas! I have a house full of fishermen and live across from a lake. This will be great inspiration for the next party this coming summer. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Do you have a stencil for the fish cut-outs you could send?

    ReplyDelete